The first day of school has come and gone and we all survived! I was really the only one having a hard time with it - the kids woke up excited to put on their new clothes and get to school.
Our Big Kindergartner
Morgan was the first one to arrive in her classroom this morning. Only 5 other kids were there today since today was an assessment day....she won't go again until Monday. Morgan was a little nervous but walked right into class and put her stuff in her cubby and then got busy writing her name like her teacher asked. Mrs. Fishback said Morgan did great on her assessment and had a good day but was pretty tired - she is in all day Kindergarten so it will be an adjustment for her for a while. Morgan said Kindergarten was "totally, super, super fun"! I fought back tears as I left my baby but it helped to have Jesse with me and Ryan was a good distraction. I was given this poem at registration - every time I read it I cry...First Day of School
She started school this morning,
and she seemed so very small.
As I walked there beside her
in the Kindergarten hall.
And as she took her place beside
the others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
those first few years can pass.
Remembering I saw her as
she first learned how to walk.
The words that we alone made out
when she began to talk.
This little girl, so much absorbed
is learning how to write.
It seems as though she must have grown
to girlhood overnight.
My eyes were blurred, and hastily
I brushed the tears away
lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar her first big day.
Oh how I longed to stay with her
and keep her by the hand.
To lead her through the places
that she couldn't understand.
And something closely kin to fear
was mingled with my pride.
I knew she would no longer be
a baby by my side.
But she must have her chance to live,
to work her problems out.
The privilege to grow and learn
what life if all about.
And I must share my little girl
with friends and work and play;
She's not a baby anymore--
She's in Kindergarten today.


Tyler was really excited to see all of his friends today! Since he's in the co-op, he'll go through school with the same kids so he was comfortable today since he is in the same classroom as last year with alot of the same kids. His teacher is new, but she is really nice and warm so he had no anxieties. I think Tyler is going to have another great year. He was really bummed that he didn't get to do any math today or have any homework....what a funny boy! 





4 comments:
Well, maybe you didn't cry, but I did when I read that poem. Talk about deja vu!!! Wow. Really cute pictures; and I'm so glad they are both so happy with school. Tyler also told me he was mad cause he didn't do any math today OR have any homework.
Your kids are adorable! Kindergarten is such a fun year and Morgan looks so grown up now! How fun for her! :)
I didn't need to read that poem as I have my own waterworks just thinking about Ethan at school with "Mrs. Meany" for a teacher :) But it is a cute poem. I am so glad your kids are enjoying this new school year. It's so important.
It is always so much harder on the moms. I still get teary and Bennett's in 6th grade. They both look adorable.
Post a Comment